I was a bit surprised to find out that my last 10HT entry was 3 months ago. I’ve been having some sort of a mental struggle lately and doing this series always reminds me to be grateful of what I have, despite the all the shitty things I’m feeling.
1. Meeting Erwan Heussaff. His film crew together with Wil & Haley Dasovich (who I also met) were in Cebu yesterday to do a Cebu leg for his Overnight Travel Guide series. I had dinner at the hotel they were staying at and glad I got to catch Erwan and had a little chat with him. I’ve been following him since he did his cooking videos on Vimeo that were so raw and authentic. Absolutely proud of his success and I’m glad he was such an easy person to have a conversation with.
2. My new Kindle cover. I ordered a baby pink magnetic cover for my Kindle Paperwhite off eBay about a month ago and didn’t expect for it to arrive at all, considering the perils of Philippine customs. It was $6 (so cheap huhu) I was willing to risk so I was definitely surprised it arrived yesterday and straight to my house despite it being a standard post. Are things finally changing?
3. Sunday night birthday parties. One of my dear friends celebrated her birthday and although I was reluctant to go because of Monday work, I suggested to her that it would be good if we started early. She agreed and it didn’t stop us from having the best fun we could ever have. It was a good night.
4. A full & balanced weekend. September was a month of alcohol cleanse, rest, and bringing my health back to optimum levels. Last Friday I went hard after a while, but still keeping my sanity. On Saturday my friends and I went to visit Simala Church in the South of Cebu and I took that opportunity to just be thankful and practice gratefulness.
5. Payday Monday. I mean, that’s enough to put on this list, right? Say no more.
Welcome to the first edition of Friday’s 10 Happy Things for 2016! If you didn’t know about this project yet, it’s a blog series Helga came up with last year and it’s a great exercise to remember the positive things that happened within the week.
1. Parents’ 28th anniversary. Last weekend we celebrated my parents’ wedding anniversary by doing a little family staycation in Mövenpick Cebu. As always, a good dose of sun, sand, and sea is always something I love and look forward to and it’s impossible for me to not have a great time.
2. On the Wings of Love final week. I just realized this is the second time I’ve mentioned this in my blog series! It’s the last week before the show wraps up and although I don’t religiously watch it, I have been staying tuned every day for the past 2 weeks. I’m a fan of this loveteam so it deserves a place in this list!
3. Midweek beach break. Wednesday and Thursday were holidays in Cebu (though not for me, because we follow Singaporean holidays at work) my parents took me and my sister with them for that much needed province trip since we haven’t been “home” since last year. It was a good break from the work-from-home routine for me as I got to work at the beach for a few hours. Isn’t it amazing what internet can do?
Happy 10th to this blog series! I’ve really gone to love this blog series as it allows me to look back on positive stuff that has happened during my week. It’s therapeutic in a sense!
- Bumping into the Pastillas boys. Last Saturday night, we (my mom & sister) had dinner at Mizu, the Japanese restaurant over at Waterfront Hotel. We didn’t really want to head home after dinner so we decided to just chill at the lobby cafe; get dessert, have tea and just lounge. This is something we’ve always loved to do as a family even when we were back in Jakarta, so it was a nice night. There was an event in one of the ballrooms and apparently the boys who joined that Pastillas segment in Showtime were a few of the guests. If something is to be known about me, it’s that I followed that twitterserye and ate it up like a true Filipino fangirl. My mom took photos of me together with the chosen one, Richard, and the Australian guy, Michael. I told them to act like we were close and be all sweet with me, and this was the finished product. Thanks, mom!
- #Matts24thSunriseParty. One of my best friends decided to celebrate his birthday differently by having a party at dawn and towards sunrise. I hardly slept the night before but it was a good kind of change to have a party start at 5am and end before 10am. Definitely one of a kind and all worth it because we really did see the sunrise (photo above)!
- APEC Week. This affected me in quite the most positive way. Cebu has had its share of APEC a month or two ago but since our Manila office is located in BGC, our HQ decided that everyone should work from home or remote for the whole week so as to not deal with traffic and road closure madness in Manila. Being the only remote employee in the company, this was a great change to see everyone in their own homes or in other locations aside from the office, just like me.
- Work projects. Work was pretty inspiring this week. In between handing new clients, dealing with crazy ones, and having loads of work to do, it really makes a difference when you love what you do and see the fruits of your labor. There may be some bumps along the way, but it’s a good learning curve and with the kind of job that I’m in.. it’s pretty rewarding.
- Justin Bieber. Ahh, the gift that keeps on giving. His promos for Purpose have been giving me the greatest dose of fangirl that I needed this whole month. Guestings in talk shows, Bieber Week on Ellen, live performances, JB Carpool Karaoke part 2 with James Corden.. and the list goes on!
- Mockingjay pt. 2 promos. I’m kind of over the whole Hunger Games phase and don’t even really have the desire to watch the movie in the cinema. I’ll probably just watch it in the plane next month or something. I will, however, NEVER tire of watching the interviews, TV guestings, and crazy antics that Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, and Josh Hutcherson go through for the movie promotions. Whether individual or together, I love watching these three. I think it was on Monday that I woke up earlier than usual so I decided to go through a buttload of promo videos and interviews of the trio. Made my day!
- Slumber Party! I had a great full day with two girls I adore—Ham & Riz—and we spent it with our usual cafe chill, then had super yummy dinner, and then a long-ass karaoke session (4 hours is no joke!) that didn’t have a single dull moment, empty spot or rest. We just kept singing like no tomorrow. They spent the night at my house and it was just a great time altogether.
- Sunday night massage. I always treasure these bi-monthly massages because my back always kills me by the end of the week. I realize I don’t really mention this in my happy things but it keeps me going. I love massages.
- Glossier’s Boy Brow. I am a fan of Benefit’s Gimme Brow and planned to repurchase it because mine ran out, but when ITG / Glossier came out with Boy Brow last month, I decided I wanted to try it instead. Watched one of the reviews and with a certain promo code you get a free Balm Dot Com, so I took that opportunity and ordered one for myself! I won’t be getting it until I arrive New York next month because I had it shipped there but the promo ends on November 30 so I made sure to order it before then. So excited!
- A quick week, overall. I don’t know what happened, maybe I was just enjoying this week too much that just like that, the clock struck 12 to Saturday now. I’m always thankful for a good week. Next up, Hong Kong!
Seems like this is all I ever do because the week is so filled I usually only have time to blog on the weekends, so there’s FTHT and TSC posts. Heh.
- New music week! What a great week for pop music. Adele’s Hello, 1D’s Perfect, Justin Bieber’s Sorry, then DNCE’s EP dropping, and Drake’s Hotline Bling music video making waves all over the interwebs. Makes me proud to live in this era, tbh.
- This week’s You’re the Worst – Season 2 Episode 7: There Is Not Currently a Problem. This episode really moved me in more ways than one. It was such a strong one, I ended up crying more than I would have wanted. I put it in the happy list because I was so moved at how they portrayed someone suffering from clinical depression. Even while reading the LA Times article about the episode, it made me want to cry even more.
- A stressful work week. Lots of “phwoar!” things happened at work this week so this wasn’t initially a happy thing for me but after a lot of introspection I realized that an absence of a stressful work week would mean that I would have to be alone with my thoughts for a much longer time (aka not good) with less productivity levels. That’s not a good thing for me at all. As much as I love the lazy life when my brain isn’t working (like literally working on work mode) I become somewhat crazy. I have a job that I love that I can do anywhere (remote ftw) that gives me good, challenging stress and money! What’s not happy about that?
- Tuesday yoga. I took my sister with me to Tuesday’s yoga class and it was kind of a struggle for her that she said, “Why would you pay for something that gives you torture?” I embrace yoga’s torture, wholeheartedly. It’s probably the only torture I don’t mind and completely accept because the return of investment is so quick and fulfilling. I feel much better, I sleep better, I eat better. I know I’ve probably said this countless times but yoga really is life changing for me.
- A bit of time to catch up with 2PM‘s activities. I hate Japan for taking them away but I had a few hours to spare this week (also to alleviate stress) so I used that time to catch up with what 2PM’s been up to. I miss being a full-time fangirl!
- Fulfilling my cravings. I think I’m about to get my period (I HOPE SO) because I’ve been craving all kinds of salty food lately. Probably not good for my health and diet, but I ate all the salty things this week. And it made me happy.
- Rock Salt & Cheese milk tea topping. Another one of them cravings that I fulfilled!
- Gerald Anderson guesting on this week’s PBB. Shock! Me talking about local showbiz? I was such a huge fan of his season almost a decade ago when I was still in early college and seeing him back in the house brought back all these happy feelings out of nowhere I just had to point it out here.
- Revlon’s Brow Fantasy in Dark Blonde. I colored my hair lighter last week so I had to look for a lighter brow product that wasn’t in my usual range of price or brand. Truthfully I was almost going to buy the Stila All Day Brow Gel but my good friend said, “No Rustan’s for you. We will go to Watsons!!” and I was grateful for that. This also made me break out of my comfort zones with brow bowders and brow gels because the Revlon Brow Fantasy is a pencil product! I’m still getting the hang of it but it’s been a good learning experience so far and I am finally mastering the art of the brow pencil. I use this product for my overall brow, then my current Tarte Amazonian Clay Brow Mousse for my brow tail so I give it more emphasis. Yep, in case you didn’t know, I take my brows seriously. That’s what happens when you have nonexistent brows.
- Dancing the night away. Because of everything that’s been happening the past few months I haven’t had the time or energy or the will to go out partying at all. The whole revelry life has really worn me out but last weekend I was inside the club again and danced to my heart’s content. Without alcohol. I didn’t think I’d be able to do the whole no alcohol thing, but I did and a million fuck yeahs for that.